Monday, September 01, 2008

@#!$ to Zed

As my vacation rushes swiftly to its death I waltzed over to Zaphod's to see some rock'n'roll, along with whatever it is that openers ZERG! do. The duo of Mobot and Billy G. are rounded out by a keyboardist and drummer for their live shows, which feature blippy electronic rock and a cover of the theme song from Revenge of the Nerds. Mobot also had an Ampeg guitar, which frankly sounded better than his Yamaha EZAG electronic teaching guitar. As for their claims of resolute nerdishness, I think I saw a few too many tattoos for them to qualify. Sorry.


Zerg!, Zaphod Beeblebrox, August 31, 2008

Next up were The Bella Bombs, who sounded particularly thunderous this time around.


Bella Bombs, Zaphod Beeblebrox, August 31, 2008

I was chatting with Reg Allen of Good2Go and mentioned that I'd heard Hell Yeah Fuck Yeah were a band with an energetic set with a sound not unlike Scandinavia's more motor-riffic groups. Until lead singer Al911 wrapped his Toronto FC scarf around the microphone stand while the band was setting up their gear I hadn't realized that I've actually seen them before at Zaphod's in January performing with Hellbros. This was while my camera was off for repairs, so here they are (or at least Al and guitarist Adam) for the first time in living colour.


Hell Yeah Fuck Yeah, Zaphod Beeblebrox, August 31, 2008

As I said before, it's solid rock'n'roll in the vein of Zeke (albeit not as speedy), with witty banter and stinky puking between songs.

No comments: