Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Lovers, Venetians and thieves

Tuesday was a day for quick hits. When yesterday's prophesied thunderstorm turned into a brief shower I pedalled down to Bluesfest to see Born Ruffians, and incidentally catch a few songs from Most Serene Republic and Jason Collett. As was observed in a conversation later in the day, it was almost Zaphod's day at the festival. I know I saw two of the outfits first at Zaphod Beeblebrox and Collett played there in April. All of them attracted considerable crowds.

I like Collett's music, but on occasions I think I detect flashes of smugness that impede my enjoyment of his live show.


Jason Collett, Ottawa Bluesfest, July 8, 2008

From the River Stage I went to the Black Sheep Stage to catch Born Ruffians. They're sounding less ruffian by the moment. As I've said before: Jonathan Richman, Wire, Talking Heads ... but more Richman this time around.


Born Ruffians, Ottawa Bluesfest, July 8, 2008

Then I headed home, stopping at the River Stage again to listen briefly to Most Serene Republic. I'm not sure why bands who know they'll be playing an outdoor festival think it's a good idea for everyone to wear black. Good thing for them it was cloudy.


Most Serene Republic, Ottawa Bluesfest, July 8, 2008

In a couple of hours I was better fed and at the Dominion Tavern to see Memphis rockers Lover! and local combos Savage Crimes and Mother's Children.

Savage Crimes are born out of the part of the Sweet Janes that didn't go on to the Holy Cobras, plus Matt Cosgrove, who has also served as a timekeeper for local folkie Gianna Lauren. They're more on the punk rock side of the garage.


Savage Crimes, The Dominion Tavern, July 8, 2008

Next up were Mother's Children, a half-and-half split between former Sick Fits and former Million Dollar Marxists. This was their second show.


Mother's Children, The Dominion Tavern, July 8, 2008

Lover! finished the evening off with some chunky Memphis rock. Main man Rich Crook has performed with well known groups like The Lost Sounds and Reatards, and also done time in the Knaughty Knights with former Oblivian Jack Yarber. His band has some Black and Whites in it I hear. They whipped it out hard and fast and sounded great.


Lover! The Dominion Tavern, July 8, 2008

This show also had an excellent turnout for a sticky Tuesday evening.

2 comments:

starlagurl said...

Is that a snide comment against Born Ruffians? I thought they were great!

A.C. said...

Not at all - but when I saw them last they were a bit more punk rock; they had more of that Richman naif quality this time.