Tuesday, August 08, 2006

No no no!

Konono No. 1 has been praised far and wide for its Congotronics album. The group, minus a few members and accompanied by a ferocious buzz, headlined at the Black Sheep Stage. Like many others I picked up the album based on the weight of critical recommendation. I gave it a few spins and ever since it's been shuffling further away from the "must play" queue. I wasn't knocked out by the live show either. Perhaps if they had brought their full complement they would have made a better impression.





Their conga player worked nonstop, thumping away and blowing his whistle.



The other two thumb pianists weren't quite as active, and the chap in the cloth cap even seemed a bit surly, but as the set progressed he occasionally closed his eyes and bobbed forward. It's hard to rock out on a likembe.





Megaphonic action!





There was some lascivious treatment of a microphone stand.





The whole lot.



The performance was okay, but like the album it didn't win me over. After their first song - which went on about 45 minutes - I wandered over to see Mofro next door.

1 comment:

dial613 said...

I was underwhelmed by the live show too, but i couldn't put my figure on why. after all the buzz, it just kind of seemed... average?