Saturday, August 12, 2006

Burn, baby, burn

The Fiery Furnaces may be one of the most deliberately quirky outfits about. Garage rock, blues, folk, tropicalia and Eleanor Friedberger's swooping vocal delivery make the band's sound unmistakable. It also helps that Matthew Friedberger is a very good guitarist. He was rocking out at this performance. Nonetheless, I found I enjoyed them more on CD than live. For starters they use a far wider range of instruments on disc, whereas they had a less versatile two-guitars-bass-and-drums band lineup for their Bluesfest gig. That said, they put on a lively performance.

Eleanor looks good in yellow.



Matthew; I took a ridiculous amount of photos, about two actually worked out.



Jason Lowenstein, a.k.a. that guy from Sebadoh! (And Bob D'Amico on drums ... no good pictures of Bob, I'm afraid.)



How low can he go?



Fiery action!







In sum I'd say good but not great.

No comments: