Monday, July 13, 2009

Rain, rain, go away!

So much for my weather-predicting capabilities. Not only did it rain, it was rather cool, never a good combination. At least things stayed pleasant enough for the first part of the day.

I arrived as The Balconies were starting their set. I was very impressed by their Gaga Weekend set, and they were just as good this time around. A sizable crowd gathered to listen to their new-wave sounds, and there was a good turnout at the autograph tent later on. It was still warm and sunny enough for Jacquie Neville to note that wearing black was a mistake.


The Balconies, Black Sheep Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

Following their set I went off to buy a copy of their new CD and to go to the Music-Themed Eatery Stage to watch The Sedatives. Ian Manhire appeared to be getting a primer on the operation of the Hammond Organ as I arrived.


Sedatives, Hard Rock Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

Then they were off an rocking, with a very hard-hiotting set. Apparently copies of their new album have arrived, but Ian forgot to bring them. He did promise to make a cover and bike one over to whoever was interested though.


Sedatives, Hard Rock Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

Since their set only lasted about 30 minutes I alsom managed to pop over the hill to see most of the Sunparlour Players set. Hmm, I'm not completely sold on their somewhat hectic take on Americana. The triple kick-drum lineup is kind of nifty, though.


Sunparlour Players, Black Sheep Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

And one can't fault the amount of energy the players - particularly accordionist/drummer Michael Rosenthal.


Sunparlour Players, Black Sheep Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

The New Mastersounds followed The Sedatives on the Music-Themed Eatery Stage. They're a Leeds-based funk-soul-R&B combo. I can't say they held my attention, but they did seem to have some of the audience grooving along.


The New Mastersounds, Hard Rock Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

Casting around for something to watch I passed by the Fast Food Chain stage, where the Homemade Jamz Blues Band was performing. Not hugely fascinating, but I dig those custom instruments.


Homemade Jamz Blues Band, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

They're a family outfit, drummer Taya, 10, is the youngest.


Homemade Jamz Blues Band, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

I decided to go and see Land of Talk since I enjoyed their Zaphod's set with Menomena and Field Music. They played a similarly fine set, and like the Sunparlour Players before them praised The Balconies' show.


Land of Talk, Black Sheep Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

Then I headed back over the hill to catch The King Khan and BBQ Show, which is when things turned nasty. I don't mean musically nasty, I mean meteorologically nasty. with a lengthy rainshower. Bleaaah. Not too good for the camera, either. At least King Khan and BBQ were entertaining as usual, with their between-song banter even more cracked than usual. Also, King Khan kicked the crap out of those heads mounted along the front of the stage, an act I heartily condone.


King Khan and BBQ Show, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

I went looking for an umbrella for sale, but had no luck, so soon enough I was back at the Music-Themed Eatery Stage getting wet. At least I had a plastic bag to wrap my camera in. Bloodshot Bill and his new wife also showed up to bop along around this time. That done, I headed off to the Telecommunications Giant Stage to fulfill my main reason for sticking around through the rain - seeing Neko Case, one of my favourite singers, perform.


Neko Case, Rogers Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

It was well worth the wait and slight sogginess, she put on a super set, which lasted about 80 minutes, including a cover of Harry Nillson's Alimony and an encore performance of Sook-Yin Lee's Knock Loud.


Neko Case and Tom V. Ray, Rogers Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

She was joined by her usual backing band, including Jon Rauhouse (below on banjo), but usual co-conspirator Kelly Hogan couldn't be there due to a death in the family.


Jon Rauhouse, Paul Rigby, Rogers Stage, Bluesfest, July 12, 2009

After that, I sped on home - I've got an early day today, and I'd prefer to be reasonably dry when it comes time to greet it.

No comments: