Sunday, December 23, 2007

The sweater song

Big surprise! I got to see a show tonight! I expected to be stuck at work until 11 p.m., but due to my industrious nature (no joke) I finished way ahead of time. Okay, it wasn't too busy a news day either, but it still means I was home a couple of hours early and could go to Poorfolk's crazy egg nog chugging party at Irene's.
The songs on Styrofoam Ones Myspace were a bit of an eyebrow raiser. The mysterious duo turned out to be a trio, of which I can say little except they use keyboards, bass and drums to dance-worthy effect. They opened with a cover of The Gories' Sovereignty Flight (a tune also tweaked by local combo Four'n'Giv'r). I can definitely see them getting much wider notice in very short order - or at least a record release on Last Gang.
As for Poorfolk, they gave another robust performance (though I think they've had better sound), and covered both Cyndi Lauper's Money Changes Everything and Guided by Voices' Motor Away, with an assist from Ones drummer Casey Jones. The band also debuted a new tune, Jamaican Gum, slated for an upcoming album that will probably (not) be called My Baby's Momma. Plus they braved a song wearing wool sweaters with Christmas-themed stuffed animals sewn onto them. Though there was no egg nog, crazily chugged or not, there were randomly distributed door prizes.

No comments: