Sunday, May 18, 2008

Housebound

I can't remember the last time I was at a house show - the closest thing was the last Birdman Sound Shed Sessions, and that was some years ago. Calum Marsh of Mocking Music and his housemates hosted four bands last night: Vancouver's Secret Mommy Quintet, Montreal's Winks and local outfits We Fled Cairo and Ennuie.

First band on was We Fled Cairo, and instrumental duo (particularly on this occasion, since drummer Dave's throat was suffering). They're playing another house show at 59 Argyle tomorrow.



Up next, Ennuie, the only combo I was familiar with. And yes, Ivana is sitting on an exercise bike. They conjured up an almost psychedelic throb this time around. They also had a pop quiz which I think Luca won by not answering any of the questions.



The two out-of-town combos took the usual indie pop formula and gave it some twists: The Winks use mandolin, cello (with some extra effects for a ferocious sound) and drums. There was also some tap-dancing.



The Secret Mommy Quintet gets its rhythms from glitchy techno and surrounds them with a couple of guitars, xylophones, saxophones, shakers, and accordion. I guess I can't say I'm totally unfamiliar with the band, because that looks an awful lot like Shane Krause of They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (It's a little hard to tell without the TSHDT?-issue beard) And I believe that tattoo belongs to Sarah Doer. Andy Dixon is the guy on guitar and laptops. Not shown is Gregory Adams, who is in Andy's other band Winning. I believe the gal on xylophone is named Merida.



And I'm not going to say any more because it's 3 a.m. and I need to sleep.

No comments: