Thursday, July 13, 2006

A little refreshment

Anathallo made quite an impression at their Zaphod's show in January. Their Bluesfest booking came as a bit of a surprise, but a most welcome one. Their latest album is The Floating World; compared to the rambunctious performance I saw their work is a bit more spacious, fragile and restrained- I can imagine it appealing to Radiohead fans. I'll also echo others and say their sensibility is similar to Sufjan Stevens and Animal Collective's.

Matt Joynt switches to the keys. Usually he plays guitar, but that picture turned out fuzzy.



Bret Wallin and Andrew Dost percuss away.



Singalong action; guitarist Danny Bracken in the middle.



Bret on baloon (baloon?).



Xylophone action with Andrew and Erica Froman.



More percussion as Bret and Jeremiah Johnson rock the traps.



Sunstroke can strike quickly and en masse at this time of year.



Group action! (With Member No. 7 Seth Walker at right on bass.)



A very promising beginning to the festival.
  • Show reminder: Calexico associate Marianne Dissard and her husband Naim Amor play Zaphod's; locals The Empiricals are also on the bill.

2 comments:

dial613 said...

balloon!

A.C. said...

Okay, so I can't spell - I typed that up at 2 in the morning ... (don't get me started on my unusual spelling of usually).