Monday, July 10, 2006

Bluesfest: Day Three

I could just not get out of bed on Sunday - by the time I'd actually got on my feet, done all my daily chores and was ready to travel, it was closing in on 4 p.m. That meant the first act I saw was the Amanda Rheaume Band. Amanda was kind enough to hand-deliver me a copy of her band's CD. I thought it was good stuff in a more rocking singer-songwriter vein.



After watching Amanda and Co. in action I passed by the Blues Til Dusk Stage where the snazzily dressed Slick Ballinger was laying down some swinging blues with his trio.



It was a brief stay; my actual destination was the MBNA Stage, where I caught the last few moments of the Detroit Women. Judging by the audience reaction they put on a heck of a show. Shown here, guitarist Dennis Burr, group founder Kate Hart and Lady T.



The lady I really wanted to see was Thornetta Davis (shown here with guitarist Brett Lucas). I've been an admirer since catching her vocal work on Big Chief's Mack Avenue Skull Game. I still have her Sunday Morning Music CD around somewhere.



I went home to download some pictures and grab some dinner, then returned to Bluesfest. I had to choose between Solomon Burke or Amadou et Mariam. I finally decided to go see Amadou and Mariam, since it would make the day's listening a little more varied. For once there wasn't a huge crowd at the Black Sheep Stage, and grabbing a front row seat was a cinch. Elmer Ferrer was up first, aided - as in his appearance last year - by Quarterlife singer and guitarist Anders Drerup. Flautist Maraca also took a guest turn.





Amadou et Mariam put on a stellar set of African trance rock. Their band obviously has a lot of fun playing together. Bassist and 12-string guitarist Laurent Griffon in particularly enjoys getting down (and hamming it up for photographers).







A lot of good music to dance to.

1 comment:

dial613 said...

i'm glad you have some amadou & mariam pics (what an incredible show from what i saw, i caught the last half hour), my camera batteries died from excessive solomon burke video-taking, and it really upset me because they were so cute.