Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bluesfest: Day Six

I'm back from going back and forth - between the Black Sheep Stage and the MBNA Stage, that is. I was going to head directly to see the Centretown Wilderness Club at the latter venue, but the hard strumming of Hamell On Trial drew me in as I walked down Lisgar. Hamell's humorous assault on all things right and proper was very entertaining, and he spared few. As I scuttled past him with my camera he joked "There goes the guy who gave me a cavity search at the border".



After listening to a few tunes on the state of right-wing pundit/lunatic Ann Coulter's nether regions and the importance of parents lying to their kids, I headed over to see the Centretown Wilderness Club. They sounded great as always. And since I figured out I was setting my shutter speed way to low (at 1/200th of a second when 1/1250th was more what was called for) the pictures turned out pretty sharp as well. When I arrived Dietrich and Aalya were slowdancing on stage.











I was wondering whether to stick around for the Hackensaw Boys or head over to watch Dan Bern when the stage left PA began cutting in and out, effectively massacring the Club's final Carter Family tune. Might as well go and see some Dan Bern while technical difficulties were dealt with, so I wandered back to the Black Sheep Stage for Hamell's last few songs and a short break before Bern headed on stage. He has a serious Bob Dylan influence. Some of his lyrics are a bit dafter, but he's far less obtuse.



Having watched a good chunk of his set, I decided to head back to the MBNA Stage to see Dickey Betts and Great Southern. I enjoyed myself for about half an hour, but to be honest the performance wasn't holding my attention. These guys like their Les Pauls, that's for sure.



Their comely conga player also helped out on vocals.



Back to whence I came to see The Grande Mothers. Three Frank Zappa vets and a pair of ringers from the Quarteto Nuevo did more than justice to Frank Zappa's music. In fact, after listening to some of the performance I have to say they sounded like they were enjoying themselves a lot more than Frank ever did.

Roy Estrada and Don Preston started with Zappa back in the 1960s.



Saxophonist and flautist Napoleon Murphy Brock did a great job on vocals.



I was never a huge Zappa fan, but I have a new appreciation for his stuff now. Unfortunately my pictures of their set mostly stink, but ears before eyes I always say.

No comments: