Saturday, July 15, 2006

Enjoy the scenery

Okay, I admit it. I'm not a huge Broken Social Scene fan. I've more time for their friends and associates like Do Make Say Think and Metric. I've seen them live before (at the old Capital Music Hall) and enjoyed myself while the show was going on, but I find that after a short duration the thrill is gone. They certainly make for a visual spectacle thought, with their sundry members (and I hope I got everyone's name right; it's not easy keeping track you know ...).

Kevin Drew grips the microphone.



Course, it's that much better if you can grip a beer and a tambourine at the same time (I have no idea who this is, but you can make out Charles Spearin behind him).



Andrew Whiteman hustles up some guitarwork.



Evan Cranley blows his own horn.





The band has used an array of female vocalists ... with Emily Haines and Leslie Feist moving on to other things, Amy Millan now frequently fills the role, and quite exquisitely too.



She's also handy for those tough trombone miking moments. Brendan Canning at right.



That's FemBot Julie Penner in Hylozoist white.



Social action!







The crowd lapped up the show, though a week later true to form I'm starting to wonder why I didn't head off to see Calexico. As the band themselves said, it truly stunk that both outfits were on stage at the same time. It's not quite a firing offence, though.

No comments: