Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Wheels keep turning

I spent a goodly amount of time thinking The Coggs were a folk band - something about the name, I guess. In fact they're a blues-rock power trio. They've been playing a residency at The Rainbow (it ends June 7) and have just released a fine debut album, Blackjack and Cigarettes. They played through much if not all of it at their Saturday release show at Zaphod Beeblebrox, and covered blues songs from all eras: Have Love Will Travel, Cream's Crossroads and The White Stripes' When I Hear My Name (and a couple more I don't recall). I liked them, though as I believe I've mentioned before, photographing people in black against a black background in low lighting does not do much for camera focus.

Jeff Coghill.





Bassist Travis Hood.



Drummer Mike Brittain.



Coggs action!











They also have a handful of shows at The Pour House coming up early in July.

No comments: