Friday, May 05, 2006

Trapped!

Tennessee's Rat Traps put on a shouty show in a Reatards vein at Irene's on Tuesday. Like The Oblivians they have two guitarists (both using general store guitars with lipstick pickups) and a drummer. Everyone sings, taking turns with the lead vocals. Their set was quite short; between the Fortunate Sons and The Rat Traps I'd say and hour an 15 minutes of time was put to valuable use. I used a ton of bounced flash for these photos. Hurray for white ceilings!

April N. keeps her trap un-shut! Her t-shirt is a reference to the cover of The Oblivians' Popular Favorites, I presume.



Ditto Joe T.! Do these folks wear their influences on their sleeves, or what?





Drummer Jeff is more the silent type ... no, I'm lying, he was yelling a lot too!



And now, rodent-exterminating rock action!









April ditched her guitar for the final number, a particularly shouty one.



After their set was over there was mild twittering from the small audience, who seemed a bit stunned. Then Chris Anderson said "Ladies and gentlemen, The Rat Traps!" and there was some louder applause, but the general impression of hit-and-run rock remained.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are some well taken photos.

Anonymous said...

Apparently the folks at P.S. We Hate You thought so too!

A.C. said...

They snagged 'em without telling me, but a couple of weekends ago Statcounter told me folks were hopping over from the Goner message board - turns out one "bushmeister" was hunting for Rat Traps pictures, so I knew about their evil plot from the start ... but stuff will shake out in the end. Everyone knows I really don't mind people using my pictures, unless they're some bizniz.