Friday, July 15, 2005

International incidents

As I mentioned earlier, I went to see Elmer Ferrer on Thursday before going to see end of Willy Porter's set and The Dears on The Black Sheep Stage. Here he is again - still grimacing.



I caught the guest vocalist portion of Ferrer's set, with Shawn Tavenier helping out on (I think) a version of Stevie Ray Vaughan's Stormy Weather dedicated to the previous night's storm. Bassist Juan Pablo Dominguez was certainly in a good mood during this set.



Anders Drerup of Quarter Life played some slide, and sung on The Beatles' Come Together.



More guest vocal action! Along with Peter Voith (like Drerup, of Quarter Life), they went to Havana to record with Ferrer.



And my one decent picture with Pete, at left.



Among the other acts I caught that night was folk balladeer Willy Porter.



I also took many pictures of The Dears ... still to come. For now, here are some pre-deluge pictures of the family Mason and The String Cheese Incident. Dutch Mason was not in great shape when I first saw him at Bluesfest a few years ago, when it was on Lebreton Flats. He hasn't gotten any healthier, but his voice is still decent.

He's still healthy enough to smoke, anyway. Son Garrett is at right.



Some fine harmonica playing, while the show lasted.



Garrett Mason's show was quite energetic.



His trio is completed by Noel Taussig on bass and Ainsley Jardine on drums.



Finally, the String Cheese Incident. They had so much stuff on stage that I'm sure I missed a member or two in all the clutter.

Billy Nershi models the beachcomber look.



Organist Kyle Hollingsworth (and a tiny part of bassist Keith Moseley just beyond his bum).



Percussionist Michael Travis has a lot to percuss.



Mandolinist Michael Kang at left, along with a cameraman, Nershi, Travis and a big yellow smiley-face.



They have thousands of dedicated fans, but I can't say I'm one of them.

No comments: