Sunday, July 10, 2005

From Florida to Ferrer

Despite my best efforts (that's sarcasm, folks), I managed to catch most of Mofro's set, and they were just as swell live as on record. Some amusing stage banter and wonderful soulful vocals from J.J. Grey.
I did catch a few songs from Diplo, but as he basically announced he was going to DJ, I figured my time could be better spent watching Carl Weathersby on the Main Stage. Weathersby and Co. put on a dynamite show and he had a lot of fun racing about through the crowd.
I also caught a good chunk of Joe Bonamassa's set; it was energetic blues rock, enlivened by his fine playing.
I popped over to the ADCN Stage for Elmer Ferrer only to find him delayed. Thus, I spent a most enjoyable half hour being blown over by Nora Jean Bruso's powerhouse vocals.
There was a brief delay, then much-lauded Cuban guitarist Elmer Ferrer came on stage. He's got a good band and has amazing technical skills, but I was feeling strangely unmoved. Also, my stomach was beginning to make menacing grumbles, so I went home and rested up for the Immortal Lee County Killers.
And now for a few pictures from yesterday's shows ....

First, Capital B - a.k.a. Bruce McPhillips - bends a few strings.



This Gentlemen Reg photo turned out a little dark. It's a good thing he's so pale.



My Jason Collett pictures turned out much better. Incidentally, I'm going to venture a guess his keyboardist Mike is a Gram Parsons fan.



The one and lonely Owen Pallett.



Now I've got an hour to kill before the Double Pumpers and ILCK.

No comments: