Sunday, July 17, 2005

From Massachusetts to Mauritania

Sunday's Bluesfest threatened to be a bit of a slow fade for me ... there were only two acts I was really interested in seeing. The first was The Pernice Brothers, who put on a great show on the Main Stage at 1:30. Not many people showed up, since the weather was both muggy in the extreme (Joe Pernice joked that he sweated off six pounds while playing) and threatening. True, the band can't duplicate the delicate moments of tunes like Chicken Wire in such a venue, but some striking electric guitar work was a fine trade off.
The second was Holly Golightly (who a little bird tells me will returning to Ottawa in the not-too-distant future). I saw her at Barrymore's when the Birdman Sound crew brought her to town and she was great as always, rounding her set off with a version of The Len Bright Combo's Comedy Time.
After that I headed back to the main stage to see Mary Gauthier, who did not grab me. I found her somewhat flat singing style a turn off. Then I went to check out Sonny Landreth. After I snapped a few photos I decided that he wasn't really my thing either, brilliant slide player though he may be, so I circled back to The Black Sheep Stage to see Daby Toure, who was well worth making the circuit for. Despite some evident sound problems he put on a dynamite show. The crowd wasn't huge, but it was very enthusiastic.
Unfortunately, the folks who develop my pictures are experiencing technical difficulties, so no pictures for the next day or two.

No comments: