Saturday, July 16, 2005

From New York to The Netherlands

Though there are only two originals Dolls, the foursome Sylvain Sylvain and David Johansen have drafted to fill the places of Johnny Thunders, Killer Kane and Jerry Nolan - namely guitarist Steve Conte, bassist Sami Yaffa of Hanoi Rocks, drummer Brian Delaney and keyboardist Brian Koonin - all did a super job. It was a little strange to think of The New York Dolls striding the Main Stage at any festival, with a huge light show and thousands of people singing along, but we live in strange times. The band obviously enjoys playing together, which made it all the more enjoyable.
Earlier in the day I popped in to watch Daniella Cotton, who capped her main set with versions of Red House and AC/DC's Back in Black. She put a lot of rock in her blues.
I caught a few songs from Tena Palmer (of Chelsea Bridge fame). Since she once lived in the Netherlands and sang a song composed while on a freighter between Reykjavik and Rotterdam, my lame post title is therefore justified. Honest.
I witnessed some of Parisian Keren-Ann's set. "I did not know playing in Ottawa was like a sauna!" She was good, but I cut my stay short to head home for a bite to eat so I could get back in time for Calexico. Last time they played Ottawa, I was in Nelson, B.C. I swore I'd catch them this time, and so I did. Unfortunately, the band's set was bifurcated by some overenthusiastic weather. Though distant lightning forced a shutdown after a half-dozen tunes, the break was brief and they returned to give everyone their money's worth.
Then, after 45 minutes to set up, The New York Dolls came on and knocked everyone out.

And now for some of Friday's highlights; first American (not Irish as I thought) singer-songwriter Josh Ritter.



Here's a picture of his organist - Sam Kassirer, I believe.



I left before the end of his show because I wanted to get a good spot for Martha Wainright's set, which came with the added benefit of a hot set from Tony D (who also plays the ADCN Stage Sunday at 4:45 p.m). Here's Tony - "I want to be B.B. King when I grow up."



Saxophonist Zeek Gross was in excellent form.



Most of the band (sorry, Matt Sobb once again gets the short end of the drum stick); Sean Burke on bass.



After that, it was Martha Wainright's turn. I confess, part of what made her latest CD one of my favourites of the year was its luscious 1970s production - not something easily replicated on stage. That said, I was more than satisfied. Her voice is great live - so cutting and "real."



Incredibly enough, keyboardist Tom Mennier and drummer Tony Mason are not brothers.



Bassist Brad Albetta - also responsible for some of the guitar and much of the production on her album.



You can just make out backing vocalist Lily Lankin at right.



She was originally scheduled to play an earlier slot - the Bluesfest folks certainly did the right thing by bumping her up to headlining status. I also enjoyed her covers of Cole Porter and Leonard Cohen's Tower of Song, even if the latter has been aired a few times too often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh Ritter is from the U.S., he's just popular in Ireland.