Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fires and flowers

If The Unicorns were actually a bunch of travelling tramps and circus freaks, they might sound like Spitfires & Mayflowers. The first draft of Yo La Tengo, but interesting. Bassist Andy Lloyd sings in a boyish bleat; I forget how the others sing, but they do. They also play guitar, trumpet, drums etc. Spiky and shambling art rock.

Nattily attired guitarist Jose Lourenco gets personal with the microphone.



Drummer Tim Oakley looks like a regular Boy Scout. I suspect he's actually somewhat irregular.



I tried to get a good picture of Lloyd, but the stage was so dark and scary and I was frightened and there were people moving around so I didn't. Anyway, here he is with a bunch of other people. The Victorian military jacket look never grows old, does it?



Henry Fletcher kicks in with the trumpet.



They had a keyboardist and percussionist with them. Who he is, I don't know, but here he is (edit: but the S&M folks got back to me so I can now say he is Daniel Werb, who has his own electronic music thing going as MC Woodhands).



Spitfire action!



Mayflowers action!



Singing and pointing action with Fletcher and Lourenco.



A nice capper to a good evening. They made me think of a more juvenile Z'houndz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Lourenço..* xD