Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Angels in America

I have a sneaking suspicion that the real draw for many show-goers at Saturday's Pink Mountaintops gig was Austin psych dealers The Black Angels. I like them a lot - no surprise since I grew up listening to The Jesus and Mary Chain, to who the band owe a considerable sonic debt, and basically like everything with fuzz on it. But they go beyond mere imitation thanks to sharp musicianship; on their latest CD Passover they also benefit from an anti-war lyrical focus.

Singer and bassist Alex Maas. I get the impression the hat never comes off.





Bassist and drummer Stephanie Bailey.





Drummer, guitarist and maraca shaker Christian Bland.



Bassist and guitarist Nate Ryan.



Drummer, sitarist and bassist Kyle Hunt.



Jennifer Raines, lap topper and keyboardist.



Angel action!









All this mind-bending led me to futz with the shutter speed on virtually every shot.

No comments: