Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sound on sound



Since I'm still paying off my camera, I've been making an effort to avoid blowing all my cash on music. It has not been a successful effort, but at least I tried. Today I cruised downtown to sell off some CDs I no longer want or need (or in the case of MC Lars, ever did), and picked up a bunch of tickets for upcoming shows (Lovely Feathers, Islands, Pink Mountaintops, Bellrays, Pelican/Mono) then bused over to Organized Sound to unburden the store of some of its vinyl and CDs at the going-out-of-business sale.
I bought Matt Valentine and Erika Elder's Ragas and Blues - Fantastic String Music, at the suggestion of former OS desker and Les Allumettes drummer Andy Cant. For some reason, even though I have one of his CDs and quite like Valentine's associates in P.G. Six and the Tower Recordings I completely blanked on his name - you know you're getting old when you can't dredge up the names of psych-folk obscurantists at will. I also got Charambalides' IN C R EASE - "About time someone bought that album!" someone said. Eclipse released it in 2002, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear it had been sitting in the bin for the last four years. Throw in a copy of Jana Hunter's Blank Unstaring Heirs of Doom and that's it for my long and fruitful experience as an Organized Sound customer.
Some may think it silly to feel sentimental about a record store, but who else in town would feel compelled to stock a B.C. Gilbert CD (which I passed on, tempting though it was in its little wooden box)?
I also went next door to grab a Heavy Trash ticket and - speaking of sentiment - I also bought the new Nikki Sudden 7-inch on Munster, Hanoi Jane/Pretty Little Pretty next door at Birdman Sound. It was the first of what was supposed to be an ongoing venture between Sudden and Munster. I hope there are other recordings in the bag, because both sides are cool stuff.
Speaking of Sudden (warning - major diversion ahead), he also appears on the pair of Television Personalities tributes put out by The Beautiful Music. He performed the title track on the first, If I Could Write Poetry came out last year, and now we've been graced with a vinyl only Alternative Television Personalities tribute, Someone To Share My Life With, which features Sudden on a different mix of the tune. With the number of TVP fans out there, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Alternative to the Alternative Television Personalities Tribute either ...
Anyway, back to the here and now. I also got the CD I'm listening to as I type, the debut from heavy psych dealers Mammatus, pictured above. Unfortunately my scan doesn't do the Arik Roper cover justice. Think Comets on Fire meets High on Fire (High on Comets?) . Their bio references early Monster Magnet, and they're on Holy Mountain, so you know they're way out there, man. I also grabbed the new Fucking Machines 7-inch and the Nick Castro CD on Eclipse, but I haven't had a chance to listen to either, since I'm about to take off for dinner. Then I'll run off to see C'mon at The Dominion.
Obviously, not spending money on music is a lost cause where I'm concerned - but isn't it always?

No comments: