Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Bellwether

It's been a relaxed week, so it's time to pad out my posts ... er, I mean look ahead to upcoming shows and chat about hot new records and CDs occupying my time. First, some pictures of The Bellrays playing Bluesfest 2004.





Of course this weekend is looking good with The Silver Hearts performing at Barrymore's with Deadly Snake Andre Ethier. Speaking of Andre, I recently bought the double-vinyl version of 2005's Porcella, A Bird in the Hand is Worthless. The extra songs all blend in so seamlessly I don't see how they could bear to leave them off the CD. Saturday The Supersuckers play Zaphod's and The Fucking Machines and Muffler Crunch demolish The Dominion. I already have my Supersuckers ticket, and plan to pop next door to catch the Muffler/Machines dual release party. There are sundry acts between now and the end of April (Horrorpops et al. at Babylon, etc.), but looking further ahead ...
... and that's not even mentioning all the excellent local acts with shows coming up (e.g., The Sick Fits at Barrymore's May 5 with Good2Go and The Bushpilots) and planning CD releases - looks like a good couple of months!
Speaking of CDs - Gluecifer may have broken up, but they have some disciples in Germany's Boozed. I got Tight Pants, their debut on Bitzcore, and I've got to say Captain Poon and Biff Malibu would most likely approve - or call their lawyers to launch a cease-and-desist order. Britain's The Heads are still fuzzing on - Under The Stress of a Headlong Dive is their latest, and it's another slab of brain damage sub-Sabbath guitar groan (that's a good thing, incidentally). Similarly fuzzy fiends Witch also do a smashing job on their self-titled debut. I'm already familiar with drummer J. Mascis' outside work, so I'll just have to go hunting for records by Feathers, which lent a couple of members.

No comments: