Monday, March 06, 2006

It's dramatic!

Konflit Dramatik were not a band I was looking forward to: I'd gotten the mistaken impression they were a French-Canadian hybrid of nu-metal, rap rock and Yellowcard. While they are French Canadian (from Sudbury), my final impression was that the quartet owe greater allegiance to Tool (though there is some rap in there). They're also fairly smart on a lyrical level. and their instrumental work was very engaging. I was less taken with lead singer Christiane Bertiaume's declamatory speak-singing, delivered mostly in French, with snatches of English.

Christiane goes megaphonic.



Josee Poulin is a multitalented sort: Guitar, violin and keyboards.



Bassist Jason Richer makes a face.



Drummer Alain Tremblay had a solid style.



Dramatic dual vocalizing!



Conflicting action!



Even with all the microphone stands and keyboards in the way, this is my favourite picture from the night (there's also a larger version).



Richer actually has a fan to blow his hair around. Keeps him cool, too, I suppose.



Violin action!



I wasn't expecting to enjoy them, but I thought they but on a good performance with one proviso: They weren't loud enough!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KD played my high school back in the day. from your review and my co-workers they've improved greatly since i saw them about 6 years ago. so that's good! ps: are you coming to my Varge/Doers show on May 13?