Thursday, August 06, 2009

Gaining ground

With the Gaga Weekend over, it was time for a technological upgrade. My Olympus had been a fairly reliable workhouse for the price, but compared to the work of other photographers working under similar conditions it was pretty clear that its focus wasn't cutting it. Worse, the flash was markedly slow to recharge - I missed many shots waiting for the "ready" light to go back on. On June 18 I went to Henry's with my Dad and bought a new camera, a Nikon D90. That night I walked over to Mavericks to see Acres and In-Flight Safety and give it a try-out, which it passed with flying colours. And the music was good too!

Acres were also previewing some new stuff - musically, that is. Michael shows the Mogwai love.

Acres at Mavericks

Matthew shows the Plaid love.

Acres at Mavericks

Rhythm section action!

Acres at Mavericks

Downstroking action!

Acres at Mavericks

The whole lot!

Acres at Mavericks

Matthew sings!

Acres at Mavericks

Singalong action!

Acres at Mavericks

Rocking out action!

Acres at Mavericks

Acres at Mavericks

I severely underestimated the power of my new flash.

Acres at Mavericks

More, better-lit rock action!

Acres at Mavericks

And so on.

Acres at Mavericks

This show was recorded, and can be downloaded in a variety of formats from the Internet Archive.

No comments: