Friday, August 14, 2009

AD/BC

This is really turning into the month that stuff broke: My camera broke, my Internet provider broke, then my glasses broke. Good thing Brad from Year Zero had a multitool so I could some quick repairs (also good, the kind folk at Henry's exchanged my nonfunctional Nikon D90 for a working model on the spot - a pleasant contrast to my months-long ordeal with the Olympus I bought at Ginn). I'm gonna have to buy a Leatherman or Gerber to slip in my camerabag.

Year Zero have released their new tape on Bruised Tongue, and also had some very snazzy shirts for sale. Emmanuel Sayer introduced them by saying they didn't sound like Jawbreaker, but did sound like The Nils. They finished their set with a cover of Cocksparrer's Because You're Young. They've had Dave Williams of Fucking Machines aboard for a couple of shows (I think), but this was my first time seeing the band as a quartet. He definitely adds to the sonic punch. Since Davey Quesnelle contributed to their tape he was also on hand to sing some backup vocals.

Year Zero at Atomic Rooster
Year Zero, Atomic Rooster, August 13, 2009

The Statues rocked the night (or rather, very early morning) with their patented school of '77 pop punk. They have a new 7-inch out on P.-Trash and House Party, which they blog about here. I bought it along with their New People Make Us Nervous CD. Hmmm ... that guy on the back in the brown leather jacket looks awfully familiar ... sure I've seen him someplace before ... oh well, it'll come to me. Anyway, here's a shot of Rob Seaton, plus Sudbury expat and member of every local band ever Davey Quesnelle singing along. It was a sweaty set, and lots of fun up until the point that my foot got wedged between a monitor and a guitar case. I think I'm going to start a campaign against foothold traps for wild animals and domesticated photographers.

Statues at Atomic Rooster
Statues, Atomic Rooster, August 13, 2009

It was a sweaty set, and lots of fun up until the point that my foot got wedged between a monitor and a guitar case. I think I'm going to start a campaign against foothold traps for wild animals and domesticated photographers.

No comments: