Sunday, January 13, 2013

Up with people

I went off to Ritual last night to check out a trio of Toronto bands who dared to tour the Great White North (or at least a small part of it) in winter and local rockers Crusades. I've had a hankering to see Fucked Up, but work kept me away from their three previous shows in town. No such problem this time around, so it was of to Ritual for some rock and the most miserly glass of soda pop I've ever seen!

First up, S.H.I.T. The Toronto quintet were were the most traditionally punk band on offer, with some shouty vocals and hard-hitting drumwork.

S.H.I.T. at Ritual
S.H.I.T. at Ritual, January 12, 2013

Some more S.H.I.T.!

S.H.I.T. at Ritual
S.H.I.T. at Ritual, January 12, 2013

Crusades followed with a brisk set, great as always.

Crusades at Ritual
Crusades at Ritual, January 12, 2013

Emmanuel sings!

Crusades at Ritual
Crusades at Ritual, January 12, 2013

Moon King were a bit of an odd match for the other bands. It's the latest project from Spiral Beach's Daniel Woodhead, and also features the Beach's Maddy on guitar. Daniel 's voice makes me thinks of bands like The Television Personalities and Vaselines, but the group's sound has a lot more drive.

Daniel takes a stand!

Moon King at Ritual
Moon King at Ritual, January 12, 2013

Singalong action!

Moon King at Ritual
Moon King at Ritual, January 12, 2013

As soon as Fucked Up took the stage the crowd started to heave back and forth. Despite the usual posted proscriptions against crowdsurfing there was plenty of it.

Damian works the crowd!

Fucked Up at Ritual
Fucked Up at Ritual, January 12, 2013

Sandy sings!

Fucked Up at Ritual
Fucked Up at Ritual, January 12, 2013

Damian goes surfing!

Fucked Up at Ritual
Fucked Up at Ritual, January 12, 2013

A fine show from all parties!

No comments: