Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sonic rendezvous

I inched my way over to Zaphod's last night. The journey was perilous, since only a short stretch in front of the Chateau Laurier appeared to have been salted and everything else was an ice rink, but I miraculously made it without falling on my ass. Once there I and a huge crowd were treated to some fine music courtesy of Boyhood and art-rock collective Yamatanka//Sonic titan.

Once again, Boyhood were playing in a quartet configuration, with Alex from Grime Kings adding some extra jangle..

Boyhood at Zaphod's
Boyhood at Zaphod's, January 10, 2013

It was a smokey set.

Boyhood at Zaphod's
Boyhood at Zaphod's, January 10, 2013

Yamatanka//Sonic Titan have been making quite a name for themselves with their hybrid of Asian and Western sounds. I was batting around a few names with Chris Landry of the Glorious Moonrockets of bands they made us think of. He offered Queen among others, while I suggested Finland's Circle and Siouxsie & The Banshees. They also incorpoarte metal and various bits of Japan's musical and theatrical tradition.

Here's one of the two mainstays of the group, Ruby Kato Attwood, with Ange Loft. I believe the keyboardist is Walter Scott.

Yamantaka//Sonic Titan at Zaphod's
Yamantaka//Sonic Titan at Zaphod's, January 10, 2013

Drummer Alaska B is the band's other founder.

Yamantaka//Sonic Titan at Zaphod's
Yamantaka//Sonic Titan at Zaphod's, January 10, 2013

Sonic action!

Yamantaka//Sonic Titan at Zaphod's
Yamantaka//Sonic Titan at Zaphod's, January 10, 2013

A most interesting performance!

No comments: