Thursday, August 18, 2005

Ladies' night out, Part II

The Million Dollar Marxists were the usual hectic bunch for their Ladyfest set at Mavericks set, although there was slightly less property damage than usual. Their next show is a late one at Babylon Sept. 9, a warm-up for their next North American tour of soon-to-be-destroyed venues (The Sweet Janes, Botched Suicides and Bella Bombs will also be on the bill that night).

Steve gets on down!



Tim gets all shutter speedy!



Luke gets all Ramonesy!



Johnny gets all spacey!



Luke on Tim action!



Perhaps it's my imagination, but I thought I heard a bit of post-punk creeping into their Pagans-style bleeurgh.
Buried Inside ended the night, raging through some scream-and-gong-heavy doomcore. Things were also lit on fire, but it was hard to see from where I was. Darn it, I wanted an encore!

I don't know who's who, but the roll-call is: Nick Shaw, Emmanuel Sayer, Andrew Tweedy, Steve Martin and Mike Godout.



Doom action!



Every band should have a gong.



Another fine Relapse recording artist. Shawn Scallen announced they'd be part of the Unsane/Mi Amore show at Babylon Sept. 28.
The show ended before midnight, allowing me to take the bus home in the company of a guy who discoursed on how taking the bus sucks but was better than driving your truck into city hall while drunk, and also on eating grasshoppers in the desert. Oh, those crazy bus people!
  • Keyed in news: The Black Keys will play Barrymore's Nov. 18. Good news for me since the first time three times they were scheduled to play Ottawa they cancelled, and the fourth time I was out of town.

No comments: