Friday, August 05, 2005

The floor's the limit

Edmonton's The Floor rode into Zaphod's on a wave of gushing publicity and quickly demonstrated a very solid handle on the new-wave/post-punk hybrid. I'll date myself by saying their synth-buttressed chorused guitars reminded me way too much of Eight Second's oft-played 1984 video Where's Bula? The band's bio declares My Bloody Valentine and The Cure as inspirations - I'd add Echo and The Bunnymen to the list of conspicuous influences.

Matt Pahl strangles the microphone, but sensitively.



Dan Carlyle drums - one half of a very good rhythm section ....



Paul Arnusch on bass; the whole band is excellent but I'm going to narrowly award him the MVP award for the muscular low end he provides.



Graham Lessard certainly got to moving around once he'd been unchained from his keyboard.



Rock action!



I'd post a few more pictures, but I'm afraid the ones I took were completely fouled up by setting my camera at the wrong aperture. Oops.

No comments: