Monday, June 13, 2005

Malajubilation

Montreal's hottest pop quartet, Malajube and The Hot Springs are playing a gig tomorrow night (Tuesday, when it's at home) at Club SAW. As I mentioned earlier, I was tipped to these guys by Gourmet Delice of Le Nombre. He arranged to have their record company, Dare to Care, send me their new CD. It arrived too late for Album of the Week consideration, so with their show imminent, I'll sings its praises right now!

Malajube
Le Compte Complet



Clocking in at a half hour - including a few seconds of dead space before the hidden track kicks in - Malajube's debut is short but tasty. Chirping keyboard opener and tinkling scree comes from the Animal Collective school of twisted pop. I'm not sure I buy the comparisons to Franz Ferdinand and XTC that have been bandied about in its wake. Some juvenile whoops on Le Metronome and songs about Teeth and Lemon Juice (not at the same time), along with its generally bouncy and buoyant feel and fuzzy guitars make me thing of Australia's Sekiden. A sweet confection in any language.

No comments: