Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Eleventh Hour

Y'see, I'm learning: Knowing that The Banditas were playing, I went earlier than I planned, thus getting there in time to catch their set! The occasion of course, was one of Kelp's 11th anniversary shindig. Kelp kingpin Jon Bartlett likes them and drummer Scott Terry plays in many Kelp bands (he played in two of them at this show besides The Banditas, so why not? This was a really killer show by them - if someone told me that in a year their reputation would be travelling far beyond Ottawa's boundaries I wouldn't be in the least surprised.

I love Liz McDermott's declamatory singing style and strong rhythm parts.



Scott Terry on guitar.



And on Moxy-Fruvous-comparison-inviting drums, Colin Vincent. Actually, he makes me thing of The Strangeloves and I Want Candy.



Here they are again ...



And some rock-jumping from Terry.



They have a record release party June 25 with The Nymphets and Run Stop Restore at Irene's for their new LP on Last Drag Records.

Next up on the bill was Andrew Vincent.



And special guest bassist Andy Swan of Detective Kalita. Bryan Curry was unavailable, so Swan and Rolf Klausener filled in.



Scott Terry, and not for the last time, either.



Here's Rolf on bass and wig, with Andy on guitar (with a very short lead) for the last song.



And more of that other Andrew.



Tune in tomorrow for more of the Kelpy ones with The Flaps, Camp Radio, The Acorn, and Jon Bartlett in a dress ...
  • Shameless pleading: Sunburned Hand of The Man pencilled in an Ottawa date for their latest tour. They had hoped to play June 10, but as far as I can tell haven;t found a place to do their acid-burned forest folk psychedelic drone thing. Anyone who can think of an appropriate place for them to play, drop a line at the punkottawa.com message board. And if they do land a gig in town, let me know ...

No comments: