Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bluesfest 2011: Day 7

After a day's respite it was time to head back to Lebreton Flats, but my stay was going to be shorter than usual. I almost skipped the day entirely, since the only act I really felt pressure to see was John Fogerty, but my desire to see him wasn't at the same level as a show at the Dominion happening that night (more on it later). I decided in the end not to waste my ticket, and I'm glad I did because I saw a bunch of entertaining stuff.

First on the list was Doll, who I've seen before. This was the first time they've been accompanied on stage by a stilt walker, though. I guess she would be hard to fit into Cafe DeKcuf ...

Doll at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Doll at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 12, 2011

Then I cruised by the Subway Stage for a look and hear at Slyde. They sound quite young, thanks to singer-guitarist Nathan Da Silva's naif voice. I hear a big Rush influence - apparently I'm not the only one - thanks to the band's eye-on-society lyrics and proggy keyboards.  

Slyde at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Slyde at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 12, 2011

Finally I landed at the Hard Rock Stage for the remainder of Laurent Bourque's set. Every time I see Laurent some loud band seems to be playing with earshot. In this case it was Protest the Hero. Fortunately he had a full band this time to fight back volume-wise, including members of Paramedics from the day before.

Laurent Bourque at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Laurent Bourque at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 12, 2011

Not that anything could stifle the overwhelming volume being generated by Protest the Hero's drum and bass. Everything else about their set, particularly Luke Hoskin's guitarwork, was lost in the din. But that doesn't mean it was a complete waste of time. Let's just say that if PTH goes belly up, singer Rody Walker has a great future in standup comedy. No joke - his between song chatter about teenagers and their stupid haircuts (including his own past abominations) was laugh-out-loud funny.

Protest the Hero at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Protest the Hero at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 12, 2011

That aside, the high point of the day was Dana Fuchs livewire performance on the Subway Stage. She's a gusty singer who attracts plenty of Janis Joplin comparisons and really pulls out all the stops live.

Dana Fuchs at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Dana Fuchs at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 12, 2011

No wonder she attracted a big crowd ... but after that it was time to head home. I did snap a few photos of Andrew 'Jr. Boy' Jones who was performing on the National Bank Stage with some assist from the Texas Horns.

Andrew 'Jr. Boy' Jones
Andrew Jr. Boy' Jones at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 12, 2011

His bassist was playing with a bandaged hand - what a trooper!

No comments: