Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bluesfest 2011: Day 11, Part II

Once Todd Wolfe wrapped up, my choices were Nick Jonas, Raghav, Alyssa Reid, and the She's The One Concert in the Barney Danson Theatre. None of them were hugely palatable, but at least Raghav had the benefit of being unknown to me so I wandered over to the largely empty Subway Stage to see what exactly he or they might be.

As it turns out, Raghav is a Calgary singer of Indian descent who's had much success in Britain singing in a nu-R&B style. He was accompanied by a toaster and a DJ.

Raghav at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Raghav at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

Alyssa Reid is a young pop R&B singer who was a runner up on YTV's Next Star program. I don't care for the style, but she can at least claim to be the most sensibly dressed performer that day.

Alyssa Reid at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Alyssa Reid at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

As for Nick Jonas, he's the youngest of The Jonas Brothers. There was audible squealing when he took his jacket off. He had a very solid backing band - New Generation vets, I hear.

Nick Jonas at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Nick Jonas at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

Having spent a half-hour walking through my own musical purgatory, I returned to the Hard Rock Stage to see what The Honey Island Swamp Band. They're a blues-rocking bunch from New Orleans.

Honey Island Swamp Band at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Honey Island Swamp Band at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

They didn't really thrill me, so I wandered off to get something to eat and await the arrival of Braids. The band's latest release has been hotly touted by music critics foreign and domestic, and I enjoyed it a bit myself.

Braids at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Braids at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

After about a half hour of their performance I went off to see what Ganga Giri were. As it turns he's a didgeridoo player (I suspect the Bluesfest people had visions of Xavier Rudd dancing in their head) who adds dancehall and African percussion into his act. He and his band definitely had something going on.

Ganga Giri at Ottawa Buesfest 2011
Ganga Giri at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

I listened to that for a while, then went to the National Bank Stage to catch the tail end of Amos The Transparent's set. They had attracted a very large crowd by the time I arrived.

Amos the Transparent at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Amos the Transparent at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

My next stop was the Hard Rock Stage, to see Thornetta Davis. I first heard of Davis in association with Detroit funksters Big Chief, enjoyed her first solo album Sunday Morning Music, and finally saw her at Bluesfest back in 2006, where her music had taken the bluesier route it still adheres to.

Thornetta Davis at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Thornetta Davis at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

I was intrigued by Nicole Atkins & The Black Sea ... I think part of me was hoping they were inspired by XTC. More like Stevie Nicks with a touch of country, but with the added benefit of guitarist Irina Yalkowsky, who rally tore some oddball slide guitar sounds out of her instrument.

Nicole Atkins & The Black Sea at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Nicole Atkins & The Black Sea at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

While Atkins was performing I also briefly went over to the Claridge Homes Stage to see Death From Above 1979 emit some evil vibes.

Death From Above 1979 at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Death From Above 1979 at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

Then I went back to the Subway Stage to catch the end of Atkins and Co.'s set while waiting for Mother Mother. They attracted a young crowd, but didn't really move me ... I'm old and grumpy.

Mother Mother at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Mother Mother at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

I popped by the MBNA Stage on my way to the exit. Jane's Addiction were sounding quite good, but I'd really had enough music for one day.

Jane's Addiction at Ottawa Bluesfest 2011
Jane's Addiction at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 16, 2011

I don't know why, but when the stage dancers were doing their thing for Nothing's Shocking, I thought it was some kind of lascivious ski instruction thing ...

No comments: