Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Blacklegged rock

Deer Tick should be one of my favourite bands ... they've been lauded as a folksy, psychedelic, sort of Band-like band. Unfortunately they weren't really doing it for me. Maybe because I was getting a bit peckish, or the buzz from Moreland & Arbuckle had worn off, or because they didn't get a good sound check. They're a group I'd really like to see in a club somewhere, because while they didn't move me, I'd definitely like to give them another shake.

John Joseph McCauley III leads the quintet; he named the band after noticing one of the parasites sucking the blood out of his leg.

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

If only more bands would follow the lead of Deer Tick (and Quebexico) and put their names on their shirts like Andrew Grant Tobiassen here.

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Rhythm section action with drummer Dennis Michael Ryan.

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

John breaks out the fingerpicks.

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Bassist Christopher Dale Ryan.

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

John sings! He has quite a growl.

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Andrew sings!

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

Christopher can play this bit with his eyes closed.

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

And one last view from the crowd before my stomach demanded I go in search of Italian sausage.

Deer Tick at Ottawa Bluesfest 2009

As for the band, they've just wrapped up a tour with Neko Case and will play the first show of a European tour in London tonight.

No comments: