Friday, October 16, 2009

That's just great

Last night I figured I'd take a little wander back to my college rock days (not to be confused with my actual college days, when I mostly listened to grunge and Jesus and Mary Chain) when Wilco and Son Volt albums were never too far from my CD player. Kalle Mattson and Great Bloomers seemed to fit the bill on very cursory inspection so I went over to Zaphod's.

Kalle Mattson was on stage as I got in the door, and making quite a noise. I hadn't done much research on the band before going to the show and was actually expecting a wispy Scandinavian folk singer. Although Kalle Mattson takes its name from founding member Kalle Mattson Wainio, the band is in fact a youthful quartet, and can rock'n'yell quite capably when not displaying their folkier side. Guitarist Rory Lewis certainly likes his phases and pulsars and digital delay so they also sounded quite space-rocky on occasion. They come from Sault Ste. Marie but the various members are now taking music and recording courses at various local institutes of higher learning.

Kalle Mattson at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Kalle Mattson, Zaphod Beeblebrox, October 15, 2009

The Great Bloomers were up next, playing a tasty brand of roots pop. They claim a wide range influences, but I was hard-pressed to think of any one act I'd say play a real defining role. Yo La Tengo and Pavement may come closest.

Great Bloomers at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Great Bloomers, Zaphod Beeblebrox, October 15, 2009

Then I went home and watched Universal monster films while my photos downloaded, so you can head over to my Flickr account and check them out right now.

No comments: