Friday, May 20, 2005

My Bloody Redhead

Boston's Eyes Like Knives had a loud opening set for Mommy and Daddy at Zaphod's. I detect a definite Sonic Youth-via-Blonde Redhead vibe, with a large side helping of Pixies. They did a cover of You Made Me Realize - after asking if anyone at Zaphod's had heard of My Bloody Valentine. Uh - yes?

Rebekka Takamizu gets the full polka dot treatment from Zaphod's lighting system.



Scott Toomey on guitar.



Jim Buckey (I think) on bass.



Chris Lawler in blue on drums behind maybe-Buckey.



Here's another one of Takamizu with Mooney.



R.T. again.



United in din.



The band hasn't quite paid off the debt to their predecessors, but made an ear-pleasing indie-rock racket.
  • The Clock Strikes - who have a very impressive EP out, if I did say so myself - and The Getalongs play Zaphod's. Golden Famile, Collapsing Opposites (all the way from Vancouver, say the nice folks at punkottawa.com), Les Allumettes and Books On Books play Irene's. The latter features Ryan Hough (also in GF), while Les Allumettes is Heather of Holy Hell's new band.

No comments: