Friday, April 22, 2005

Sealed with a kiss

David Merritt is a super songwriter, so I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that April 19 was the first time I had a chance to catch the Golden Seals (boy, I hope that sentence doesn't get me in trouble with IFAW ...). Good show, lousy turnout.

Dave Merritt jokingly called for a super fast count-in to a normally mid-tempo song ... and they pulled it off! So they played it again. And why not?



I asked the drummer what his name was "Real or made up?' "Either one," I replied. Thus, ladies and gentleman: Mr. Ben E. Carlos! Hey, it was his idea.



A rare and valuable picture of John F. Higney Jr. on bass guitar.



Wunderguitarkind Pat Lawlor, whom I totally failed to recognize from his days in Polaris.



Ladies and gentlemen, the Golden Seals!



Gosh they're swell.
  • Taking-a-deep-breath show reminder: Who's playing tonight? Um, everyone. Howe Gelb at Babylon with Kate Maki of course (Howe's in town wrapping up some work on his album at Little BullHorn). White Cowbell Oklahoma serve up the southern-fried sleaze with The Longtimers and Steven Dall next door at Barrymore's. Good2Go and The Tradeoff play Zaphod's. Brutal Knights, Weapons of Mass Seduction, Quebexico and The Sweet Janes play at Irene's ... should we let Brutal Knights have access to Weapons? That sounds dangerous to me. Finally, instrumental music at The Roxy with J'envoie, My Dad vs Yours and Pawa Up First.
  • This just in, a day or two ago: The Acorn, The Flaps (including John F., Pat L. and "Ben E."), The Recoilers and Andrew Vincent will all be playing at Barrymore's May 28. Get your Kelp on!
We conclude this blogcast day with a picture of J'envoie at The Happening.



Make it two.



They were pretty good; the doors on that show are 8 p.m.
And while we're at it, here's a photo of Good2Go at Irene's.



So don't say you have nothing to do tonight ... as for myself, I gotta have more cowbell, baby!

No comments: