Wednesday, April 13, 2005

It's a Famile affair

And now I can't get that Sly Stone tune out of my head. The Golden Famile had their CD release party April 6, with copies of "Nobody Loves a Growler" in individual handmade covers. They've lost saxophonist Jay Baird to the siren song of Toronto, so the group was a mere sextet on Wednesday night. Since they were opening for The Gris Gris I fooled around with my shutter speed, hoping for way-out mindblowing visual effects. What I got was bits of neon Silly String. Sigh. The Famile:

Mike Sheridan, on drums and neon silly string.



I took a few natural light pictures of Jennifer Comeau. We shall never speak of them again.



Nate Hurlow was kind of stuck behind Darryl and Jen, so this is what you get.



Richard Jeffrey goes solo.



Now this picture of Ryan Hough turned out nicely. I bounced the flash off the ceiling, so hopefully Ryan wasn't blinded in the taking of it.



Actually, this picture of Darryl Angus, Richard and Ryan turned out pretty freaky, didn't it?



Here's a less exploded version with Richard singing.



The Famile play May 4 at Zaphod's with z'Howndz - who I just saw last night,with Mono Hum, Richard's other band (with Jen and Tim Matthews of The Glads). I wasn't wild about z'Howndz' last album, but live they were really good - like Cleveland Velvet Underground fans The Mirrors with a case of the jitters - so I'm definitely hoping to catch them again.

No comments: