Sunday, August 18, 2013

In the woods

For a blog allegedly dedicated to the Ottawa music scene, I've done a terrible job of covering Rolf Klausener's Arboretum Art Festival. I didn't get out to anything last year and barely managed a few hours this time around. Oh well, better than nothing! There were a ton of things to do this year if my schedule had been a bit more cooperative (and not just in the realm of music). As it is, I caught excellent sets from Roberta Bondar, Owen Pallett and Holy Fuck.

Roberta Bondar seemed a bit less Sonic Youth-like to my ears this time around - I could really hear the bass and drums.

Roberta Bondar at Arboretum
Roberta Bondar at Arboretum, August 17, 2013

Scarlet action!

Roberta Bondar at Arboretum
Roberta Bondar at Arboretum, August 17, 2013

It's been a long time since I've seen Owen Pallett on stage. I caught him twice at Bluesfest under the Final Fantasy name, playing solo. He had a band with him this time, and everything sounded great. But first, introduction action with Rolf!

Rolf Klausener at Arboretum
Rolf Klausener at Arboretum, August 17, 2013

Owen sings!

Owen Pallett at Arboretum
Owen Pallett at Arboretum, August 17, 2103

I admire the bassist's hat.

Owen Pallett at Arboretum
Owen Pallett at Arboretum, August 17, 2103
 
Holy Fuck are another band I've seen at Bluesfest a couple of times (also once at Barrymore's). I keep forgetting how much I like seeing them perform. Here's Brian Borcherdt, who I last saw performing under his Dusted pseudonym at Pressed in April.

Holy Fuck at Arboretum
Holy Fuck at Arboretum, August 17, 2013

It was all very motorik.

Holy Fuck at Arboretum
Holy Fuck at Arboretum, August 17, 2013
 
Life under the not-so-big top.

Holy Fuck at Arboretum
Holy Fuck at Arboretum, August 17, 2013
 
For the last song Pallett came out to add some violin (as did a saxophonist I didn't recognize).

Holy Fuck at Arboretum
Holy Fuck at Arboretum, August 17, 2013

I'm going to try to see more in 2014.

No comments: