Sunday, March 17, 2013

Under construction

It's been a busy week for shows, and with St. Patrick's Day this Sunday, there was a fair amount of possible nightlife to catch around town. However, my own musical choice was low on the Celtic factor: I went over to Daily Grind for a bit of heavy metal, courtesy of local's Thought Project and Vancouver's Hidden Towers.

I just saw Ian Vance, Thought Project's bassist, playing guitar with The Mere Humans at The Clocktower. His metal project, with Pretty Little Death Machine drummer Isaac McFaul turning out some downtuned stompers. They eschewed the Halloween greasepaint for this gig, but Ian kept the boiler suit.

Thought Project at Daily Grind
Thought Project at Daily Grind, March 16, 2013

Some more fisheye fun.

Thought Project at Daily Grind
Thought Project at Daily Grind, March 16, 2013

As for Hidden Towers, I gave them a quick listen online and thought to myself "hmm, they remind me of Loviatar!" (particularly the vocals. Then I heard them live and thought "They do not remind me of Loviatar! At all!" Damn you Internet! I'm going to guess they have and Allan Holdsworth album or two, and some John McLaughlin, in addition to the usual metal suspects. They've been called both prog and grunge, so make of that what you will. Here's guitarist Chris Cantrell and bassist Ben Holland.

Hidden Towers at Daily Grind
Hidden Towers at Daily Grind, March 16, 2013

Drummer Jakub Svoboda is rocking a Black Mastiff T-shirt. Do I need another excuse to mention that they (and Collider) will be playing Cafe DeKcuf on Wednesday? No, I do not.

Hidden Towers at Daily Grind
Hidden Towers at Daily Grind, March 16, 2013

Hot sets from all concerned.

No comments: