Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Monday night out

I popped over to Zaphod's last night to see a couple of newish acts: Edmonton's Tim Gilbertson and Antigonish, Nova Scotia's Mad Chatter. I don't think either band has what you'd call a dedicated following outside their home towns yet (though I see Gilbertson has picked up several positive reviews in places like Exclaim), and the show was quite sparsely attended.

Gilbertson and company play a pop-rock with plenty of crunchy guitars and strait-ahead vocals that make me think of the conversational style of David Gedge of The Wedding Present. He's apparently also an admirer of Modest Mouse, which I can hear. Tim's the one in the hat. They also covered Neil Young (I'm beginning to think everyone does). This particular version of Heart of Gold was distinguished by a very tasty bit of guitar soloing.

Tim Gilbertson at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Tim Gilbertson at Zaphod Beeblebrox, May 9, 2011

Faceoff action with guitarist Drew Malcolm and bassist Cam Grier (drummer Graeme Mellway rounds out the quartet).

Tim Gilbertson at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Tim Gilbertson at Zaphod Beeblebrox, May 9, 2011

Mad Chatter flavour their music with a bit of those upbeat dance beats favoured by ska and reggae acts, though not in sufficient doses that you would confuse them with a ska band. You can hear what I mean if you pop round the Elmdale Tavern tonight since they also have a show there. Alex Gerrior hands the singing and guitar, Julian Cameron plays bass and Josh Dunbar keeps the beat (they also apparently have a keyboardist but he wasn't around).

Mad Chatter at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mad Chatter at Zaphod Beeblebrox, May 9, 2011

More bass!

Mad Chatter at Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mad Chatter at Zaphod Beeblebrox, May 9, 2011

It was all okay, but mostly not the kind of music I listen to with any regularity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not even CLOSE to ska or reggae! I'd have to say that description is pretty weak. Both bands rock though

A.C. said...

One of us does not understand what the other wrote. I have my doubts that it's me.