Sunday, February 20, 2011

Their number's up

I believe I've mentioned Bumpers a couple of times ... once upon a time it was quite a haven for punk rock bands and hosted quite a few Birdman Sound shows, thanks to its location right across the street, in what is now the Bank St. location of The Works. I can remember seeing such out-of-towners as Bobby Conn, Ted Leo and Bardo Pond there (alas, no photos from those shows). I also took band photos for the first time there, of locals The Golden Famile and Philadelphia country rockers The Asteroid No. 4. Since I'm out of newish photos, I'm going to resuscitate some old snaps from The Birdman Sound website of some of The Asteroid No. 4's labelmates, The Three-4-Tens. These photos hail from September 24, 2003, when the group was performing with The High Dials (and, I think, The Singles?). They had a raucous Joe Cocker-garage-soul thing going on.

Bassist Jamie Mahon likes to jump around!

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

Jamie sings some.

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

Guitar action!

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

Feedback action! I've long forgotten who the guitarists are, though one of them must be Joe Tagg and I believe the other would be Brian McNamara.

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

The guitarist gets to sing some.

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

The drummer is possibly Mike Ambs.

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

There was some lying around on the job ...

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

As you can see, Jamie can drink and maraca at the same time.


The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

More maraca!

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

The whole lot, plus one of The Singles.

The Three 4 Tens at Bumper's

I seem to recall Kelp supremo Jon Bartlett roundly dismissed their set in the pages of Xpress, but I was entertained .... The band went its separate ways in 2008.

No comments: