Friday, July 12, 2013

Ottawa Bluesfest 2013: Day 7

My stint at Bluesfest Thursday night was a short one. I arrived in time to check out Jack Pine & The Fire, stayed for the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and took in a couple of other acts, but I wanted to be at Pressed for 9 p.m. so I didn't linger.

First stop, the River Stage for Jack Pine and company. I saw him at Cafe DeKcuf in March of 2012 and really dug his mountain music style. I was equally impressed with his band.

Jack Pine and The Fire
Jack Pine and The Fire, July 11, 2013

After a few songs from them I went over to the Black Sheep Stage to inspect Les Mosquitos. They had some reggae style grooves and  a high quotient of songs about drugs.

Les Mosquitos at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Les Mosquitos at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 11, 2013

Good energy from this quintet.

Les Mosquitos at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Les Mosquitos at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 11, 2013

Next stop was the Main Stage (or the Bell Stage, as I suppose I should call it), to check out an old favourite, The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Spencer, Judah Bauer and Russell Simmins always put a lot of energy into their show, and Jon's pants brought back happy memories of their sizzling Babylon set back in 2007.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 11, 2013

Finally, I went over to check out some of Larry McCray's set (and grab a bite to eat). He was good in 2009, and good this year too.

Larry McCray at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Larry McCray at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 11, 2013

Then it was time to make a beeline for home and grab my "real" camera for the evening's Damo Suzuki performance - more on that later.

No comments: