Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ottawa Bluesfest 2013: Day 6

Knock on wood, but it looks like the danger of lightning and rain has passed the Ottawa Bluesfest by for the rest of 2013. We can now safely indulge in the usual heat prostration and sunburn while enjoying music under the sun and stars. I quite enjoyed Wednesday's offerings, even though the only band I went with a serious hankering to see didn't do anything for me.

I breezed in past The Claridge Homes Stage for some brief exposure to Atlas Genius. Brief exposure to the Australian combo was sufficient to satisfy. It wasn't painful, but I didn't find it interesting either.

Atlas Genius at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Atlas Genius at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

Although not strikingly different, Family of the Year proved much more engaging.

Family of the Year at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Family of the Year at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

Or perhaps I was just entranced by Christina Schroeter's fluorescent yellow hair.

Family of the Year at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Family of the Year at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

As for Animal Collective, who I really like and greatly enjoyed when they played the Bronson Centre ... nope, not working for me. I listened for a bit, then decided to head off and see what else was going on.

Animal Collective at Ottawa Bluesfest
Animal Collective at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

Glad I did, since El-P put on a great show at the River Stage.

El-P at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
El-P at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

It's all about the guest appearances! Killer Mike was the previous act, so needless to say there was some Run the Jewels action going on.

el-P at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
El-P at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

I foolishly did not stay to the very end, instead heading for the Black Sheep Stage to see what The Dunwells were doing, and if they were doing it well. I have to say I found their lyrics a bit cloying. Then again, maybe everybody's lyrics sound cloying after a dose of El-P.

The Dunwells at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
The Dunwells at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

Back to River Stage for a bite to eat and the elegant soul of Solange, only slightly mangled by sound woes (she sounded great regardless).

Solange at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Solange at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

And finally, over to the main stage for a good set by Weezer. Not as fine as their first one at Bluesfest in 2011 mind you. The only Rivers Cuomo antics this time around were placing a mayfly on a camera lens.

Weezer at Ottawa Bluesfest 2013
Weezer at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 10, 2013

I suspect I'll confine my Bluesfesting to Jack Pine and Jon Spencer today, then pop over to Pressed.

1 comment:

Thurman said...

Awesome!