Saturday, May 25, 2013

On the table

Kings Quest are one of those Ottawa bands I've heard tell of, but have yet to see live. They had a show last night with London's Say Domino, so I figured it might be a good time to go check them out (and also finish that Lawrence Block novel I started reading at the Boyhood show). The turnout was low - I believe you can blame a certain playoff game for that - but the bands put on a good effort.

I've sen Kings Quest described as both dancerock and shoegaze ... I thought they had a more indie jangly sound myself; maybe they've changed their tune over the years.

Kings Quest at Pressed
Kings Quest at Pressed, May 24, 2013

They have a lot of harmony vocals, but I think they were having a bit of trouble hearing one another and were a little off.

Kings Quest at Pressed
Kings Quest at Pressed, May 24, 2013

I really enjoyed Say Domino's set. They have an interesting offbeat sound that made me think a little bit of cult fave Sleepers, but like a lot of that London-area art rock scene the don't really invite comparisons.
 
Say Domino at Pressed
Say Domino at Pressed, May 24, 2013

Their live show is quite intense. 

Say Domino at Pressed
Say Domino at Pressed, May 24, 2013

Not a bad way to spend an evening.

No comments: