Thursday, July 15, 2010

Juke joint melodies

Off my first day of SLR-less Bluesfesting, and I have to say that my  Fujifilm F200 EXP has behaved pretty well. There aren't going to be any closeups, but the resolution an focus seems all right. I actually saw a bunch of people with SLRs and standard lenses ... the policy around cameras seems a bit fuzzy. Well, I'm not going to spend any more effort figuring out what the heck is going on, so on to the photos of the many fine acts I witnessed yesterday. I started off at the Hard Rock Stage ...

Last time I saw Capital Grass and The No Men I was very impressed. They were based in Guelph then, but have since moved to the capital. At the Club SAW gig in question they mentioned they were working on a full length album, and it's finally arrived.

Capital Grass & The No-Men
Capital Grass and The No Men at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 14, 2010

I didn't stay long because I wanted to see Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba. Ngoni Ba is a family band based around the lute, grand ancestor of the banjo. Like so many of the African acts bought to the festival by the Black Sheep crowd, the band is all killer and no filler. A lot of fest-goers are obviously wise to this as well, as the Black Sheep tent was actually quite full, with even the stands well-occupied. When I walked in his percussionist was tearing things up on the tamani. Bassekou is the gent second from left in the photo below.

Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 14, 2010

After that most enjoyable set I returned to the Hard Rock Stage, where emcee Steve Lund tossed out a few beads before The Rural Alberta Advantage came on. As it happens the first time I saw them was at the same show where I first clapped eyes on Capital Grass. Once again this was a very nice set, with old favourites like Frank and a few new tunes intended for a possible upcoming album. They also covered Maybe Tomorrow (the theme from Littlest Hobo, that is) and Survivor's Eyes of the Tiger.

Rural Alberta Advantage at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Rural Alberta Advantage at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 14, 2010

I then went off to grab something to eat while I was serenaded by That 1 Guy and his electric boot. Since he has a lot of songs about food, I guess it was appropriate. Actually his music is quite krautrockish at times.

That 1 Guy at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
That 1 Guy at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 14, 2010

I then headed back to the Hard Rock Stage - there wasn't much else on - to watch Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes. It was a rocking set from an artist who's usually tied in with the working class rock of Bruce Springsteen. "We're going to have some extra blues in this set because the woman who manages this stage ... threatened me with a gun," he quipped.

Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes
Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes  at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 14, 2010

One of the advantages of the Fujifilm - it's a cinch to switch up the dimensions, good for those group photos.

Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes
Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes  at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 14, 2010

I rounded the evening off watching an excellent set from Plants and Animals. They were in excellent vocal form and quite energetic. Less energetic was my camera battery, which managed about 200 photos before winding down.

Plants & Animals at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Plants and Animals at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 14, 2010

I also made a slight detour during Plants and Animals set to catch Santana playing Black Magic Woman. I think that's him in the middle ...

Santana at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Santana at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 14, 2010

Not quite up to last night's Arcade Fire set, but a good day nonetheless.

No comments: