Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fire!

Back to Bluesfest, and with it a return to LeBreton Flats and, unfortunately, a new camera policy starting today. It seems SLRs are now verboten. I'm interested to see how my Fujifilm F200 EXP will perform. Well, it'll be easier on my back than lugging around extra lenses. The bright side of the evening was that the showers and thunderstorms of earlier in the day went off to bother Quebec and left the Flats overcast but dry. On to the music, which started and ended strong, but dipped a bit in the middle - no offence to the middle.

The Brothers Chaffey started things off with a typically tough sounding set of their roots rock. Undoubtedly one of the city's best bands.

Brothers Chaffey at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Brothers Chaffey at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

I caught the first half of their set then went off to check out highly touted Los Angeles reggae act The Aggrolites. They're a lively bunch with a good melodic sense who had a good chunk of the crowd dancing. I did expect something a bit more fiery, but I guess they have a jones for the more traditional sounds. Top notch organ work was another plus.

The Aggrolites at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
The Aggrolites at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

Moneen wasn't one of the bands on my must-see list. They're strong in the jumping and screaming department, and attracted an enthusiastic crowd. I'm tempted to compare them to Ottawa's Sleeping Pilot, but I think the home-town team did things a lot better.

Moneen at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Moneen at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

Next I went to see Sarah Harmer for some more melodic sounds. Before she went on, the DJ introduced Industry Minister Tony Clement. I didn't know he had a band ... he was in fact there to say good things about festivals and government grants to festivals, or something along those lines. I later saw him clapping enthusiastically to Arcade Fire (no, I'm not kidding).

Tony Clement at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Tony Clement at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

On to Sarah Harmer, who played a few lovely tunes in her country-folk-rock style. She's good, and her band's good, but I found it a bit ... well ... mainstream.

Sarah Harmer at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Sarah Harmer at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

I decided to go off and take a gander at the Mississippi Sheiks project, of which I knew nothing. It seems Steve Dawson has roped in a bunch of folks to pay tribute to the noted 1930s guitar and fiddle band of Sittin' On Top Of The World fame. He had Jim Byrnes, Del Rey and Alvin Youngblood Hart on stage with him for this exposition of The Sheiks' tunes.

Steve Dawson's Mississippi Sheiks Project at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Steve Dawson's Mississippi Sheiks Project at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

Let us gaze in awe upon Del Rey's ukulele ... resolele? Ukenator?

Steve Dawson's Mississippi Sheiks Project at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Steve Dawson's Mississippi Sheiks Project at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

After that I went to the organics shack for some Mennonite sausage. It was mighty tasty. Just about the time I was tossing the box it came in to the recycling bin I heard Alexisonfire starting to make some noise. They are not a band I had heard before, but I was mighty impressed by the racket they were producing. I like Dallas Green's singing - George Pettit's growlings are less to my fancy, though he certainly does journeyman service whipping up the crowd and running around; he must sweat 10 lbs. off every night.

Alexisonfire at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Alexisonfire at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

I would have stuck around for their whole set, but I wanted to go and see the legendary Arcade Fire. They're a band that should come through town way more often than they do, mostly because they are awesome live. I'm still giving the nod to Flaming Lips for best show, but I have to hand it to Arcade Fire who I think may have just barely edged the Lips out on the music front. All they need is some confetti cannons and they'd be set! Although give Win credit, he actually went out into the crowd at one time, no plastic bubble required. This was the last show of their tour, and they announced that since they didn't have to work tomorrow they were going to give it their all.

Arcade Fire at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Arcade Fire at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

A somewhat closer view.

Arcade Fire at Ottawa Bluesfest 2010
Arcade Fire at Ottawa Bluesfest, July 13, 2010

A great end to the night.

No comments: