Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Moving mountains

I took my one remaining vacation day this year to be at Cafe DeKcuf last night. The special occasion was the return of Pink Mountaintops to this fair city, along with Nordic Nomadic.

First up, Nordic Nomadic. I got his Worldwide Skyline on vinyl last year, and was quite impressed. I didn't catch his entire set (I dawdled at home over a Budd Boetticher movie) but what I heard was quite pleasant. Chad Ross has of course appeared before in ye old blog with his former act The Deadly Snakes, and his current one, Quest For Fire.

Nordic Nomadic at Cafe DeKcuf
Nordic Nomadic at Cafe DeKcuf, December 10, 2012

I was first wowed by Stephen McBean's one-man show when he played Babylon way back when, an unknown opening for Destroyer and Frog Eyes (I think pre-blog, though I did post a few photos of him later ...) and as an ensemble at Barrymore's as his fame rapidly increased. Back as the one-man thing it was still pretty awesome.

Pink Mountaintops at Cafe DeKcuf
Pink Mountaintops at Cafe DeKcuf, December 10, 2012

They're off to Toronto tonight. Good turnout too, for which I think we can thank the NHL's travails.

No comments: