Sunday, May 06, 2012

Psychobilly never dies

Once again I headed off to Ritual. Friday was a flashback to the 1960s, Saturday I went back another decade, or perhaps forward, for the Rockabilly sounds of The Reverend Horton Heat. He was accompanied by Montreal psychobillies The Brains and scotpunks The Real McKenzies.

The Brains were already on stage when I walked in. This meant I was stuck a few feet back from the front. They played a great set.

The Brains at Ritual 
The Brains at Ritual, May 5, 2012

Hollowbodies for all!

The Brains at Ritual
The Brains at Ritual, May 5, 2012

The Real McKenzies were also in really good form; the lineup was a little different for this show than the one I caught in March 2011. A fine set, though they really need a headline slot to give their catalogue a proper workout.

Real McKenzies at Ritual
Real McKenzies at Ritual, May 5, 2012

Bone frets!

Real McKenzies at Ritual
Real McKenzies at Ritual, May 5, 2012

The Reverend Horton Heat have been around a good 25 years, which is likely longer than most of the members of The Brains have been alive. They played a song an album - including Run Rudolph Run from their Christmas album, with Heath and Wallace switching instruments. Last time I saw Heat and Co., they played Loco Gringos Like A Party. This time around, they covered one of the band's tunes, Nurture My Pig. They played a few requests, including Bales Of Cocaine "You're going country one me,' warned the Rev) and slowed things down for Loaded Gun. I'm always a bit surprised by how much the punks like rockabilly - they even moshed along to Martini Time. The Rev does not like cameras, so the following two photos were taken with my iPhone.

Reverend Horton Heat at Ritual
Reverend Horton Heat at Ritual, May 5, 2012

Jimbo!

Reverend Horton Heat at Ritual
Reverend Horton Heat at Ritual, May 5, 2012

All pretty cool, though by the time of the encore I was more than ready to split.

No comments: