Saturday, July 09, 2005

What I did on my vacation

I finally had a chance to get my film developed, so now I can over some photographic evidence of my travels: All the way from Hawaii to the U.S.S.R.! Okay, The Aloha Room to the Avant-Garde Bar.
First, on July 6 I went to see the Lords of Vanier. I first head the mysterious group on Friday Morning Cartunes on CKCU 93.1 FM. I thought the vocalist sounded a bit like Damien Sawka, but it's not like he'd have time for yet another band, right? Uh, wrong ... the threesome is rounded out by Paul "Yogi" Granger and Jordy Walker of The Hi Lo Trons. Here's a photo, with extra lighting courtesy of the guy who videotaped the proceedings. (Update: This post was edited July 29, 2008.)



More photos and some yak about their new EP next week.
The following day I went to the first night of Bluesfest to catch the tail-end of Southside Steve Marriner, The Architects and War. I didn't get any photos of those folks, but I did snap a few of Tinariwen and Neko Case on Friday.
Here's Tinariwen - or five-sevenths of them, anyway.



And another view ...



Then it was Neko Case and The Sadies turn.



After examining these photos I've decided that blue lighting is better than red and yellow.



Then I zipped over to The Avant-Garde Bar and saw *Expatriates.



They were opening for Montreal's GOA! Here's main man Monstre and a few of his Boredoms-loving bunch.



(You're going to have to wait for next roll of film to get back from the developers before you see the others.)
Last but not least, in my post about Quarter Life I said I didn't have any good photos of drummer Shane McEwan from their July 3 show at Zaphod's . Now I do, so here you go:



And a bonus photo of bassist Jason Leen and guitarist Anders Drerup on backing vocals.



They've acquired a slot opening for David Gogo and ZZ Top at Bluesfest July 12.

No comments: