Monday, July 11, 2005

From the swamp to the cosmos

First, here's a few pictures of Diplo, Xavier Rudd and The Sadies. The latter can be seen in such previous posts as Hurtin' Time and Killing Songs from the band's previous shows at Babylon. Last time they were at Bluesfest (not counting their gig backing Neko Case) they played an amazing set - the best I've seen from them. They weren't quite as incredible this time around, but they can't play a bad show.

Dallas Good ...



And his brother Travis, with Mike Dean and Sean Belitsky.



The Sadies were followed by Xavier Rudd. I can't say I care for his talk of good vibes (a word that should be confined to Lionel Hampton bio-docs), but if he's feeling upbeat, no doubt it's a better show for all. His setup was mounted on its own little stage on wheels and took a fair bit of soundchecking (his roadie must be the hardest-working tour support attached to any one-man band). Note also the serious investment in tie-die. That's the Australian Aboriginal flag at top.



And a closer view. He got some nice sounds out of his hollow-neck guitar.



Earlier that day I got a few pictures of Diplo doing a DJ set; I think I can slip a copy of Uptown Top Ranking on myself, though, so I wandered off to check out the Main Stage.



My favourite act of Sunday was Mofro, who will get a post all to themselves.

No comments: